What is Spring Cleaning and why is it good for you?
Chances are you’ve heard of spring cleaning, but have you ever carried out a spring clean yourself? Studies have found that the tradition of a big annual spring clean could become a thing of the past, with under half of those surveyed saying they still carry out the classic clean.
However, before we consign this custom to history, let’s consider the benefits a spring clean can bring to you and your home.
Spring cleaning traces its origins back to the days before central heating where fires and stoves were used for warmth over cold winter months. As homes were shut up to keep heat from escaping, dust accumulated and soot was given off by burning fuel meaning homes could get quite grubby over winter. When spring came about, it was the perfect time to air out rooms and clean away the built up dirt.
With modern heating systems, air purifiers and cleaning equipment, we do not have the same problems as back in the days where spring cleans were something of a necessity. However, spring cleaning can be good for you and has a whole host of benefits, as well as the obvious one of creating a spotless, neat home.
Benefits of a spring clean
- Reduce allergies: allergens can accumulate in your home and aggravate allergies if they are left to build up – this can be a particular issue over winter with stale air, mould and dust. By carrying out a true scour of your home, you can banish allergen build up and lessen symptoms for sufferers.
- Productivity and focus: clutter can be a nuisance and a burden and research has found that it can be distracting. Whether you’re trying to get some work done at home or focus on a film, clutter and uncleanliness can be a niggling interference. Clear up your home and you may find you’re less easily diverted from the task at hand.
- Brighten your mood: not many people will jump at the prospect of doing a big clean but the pride and satisfaction that comes with a job well done is undeniable. This satisfaction in a clean and tidy home can boost your mood, and afterwards you get to enjoy your refreshed rooms.
- Declutter and donate: getting rid of old belongings which you no longer use is a worthwhile task which can free up welcome space in your home. What’s more, by donating your unwanted items to charity, you can enjoy the warm glow which comes with giving.
- Burn calories: cleaning can be hard work which is why it’s such good exercise. 30 minutes of vacuuming burns about 90 calories and scrubbing counters, tiles and tubs around 220! You can do yourself and your home good with a thorough spring clean.
The right equipment
As you can see, there are a wide variety of reasons you should carry out a thorough spring clean and breathe fresh life into your home. Spring cleaning often includes big jobs which you may only carry out a few times a year. However, with the right equipment and technique, a spring clean needn’t be a difficult task. For example:
- Carpets: make light work of lifting trodden in dust and dirt with carpet cleaner equipment
- Tiles and ovens: grease, grime and mildew can be wiped away with ease with the help of the sterilising power of steam cleaners
- Patios, decking and driveways: spring cleans don’t have to be limited to indoors; spruce up your outdoor space by using pressure washers to rid it of dirt, moss and lichen
Alpha Power Cleaners can provide customers with a wide range of quality cleaning equipment to make spring cleaning a breeze. With equipment from steam cleaners and vacuums to floor scrubber dryers and pressure washers, whatever your property’s cleaning needs, we can help.
Having been established over 40 years ago and with a team of knowledgeable experts, you can rely on us and our carefully chosen selection of equipment, for sale or hire. For more information, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our helpful team today – we operate across the Midlands.